YOUR WORK DESERVES ATTENTION. (DUH.) BUT HOW DO YOU GO OUT & GET IT?
I talk to a lot of smart people with interesting stories and years of stellar work who are best-kept secrets in their industries. The ones who know about them LOVE them, but their reach (and their influence) ends there.
When they come to me, they say things like
“I’m ready to stop hiding.”
“I want to build a bigger audience.”
“I want to be seen and known as the expert that I am.”
“I don’t necessarily want to be Marie Forleo… but I do want to have more influence.”
“Please, Cher. Can you get me into Forbes?”
They’re strategic, they have their shit together, and they’ve been working hard for years.
In short, they’ve earned the right to be in the spotlight.
But here’s the shitty part. Even though they deserve it, not all of them get it.
They write the book that’s been inside of them for years, they showcase their art exhibition, they launch the podcast, or they create a program that could change the lives of thousands… but no one beyond their immediate audience finds out about it.
WHAT THE WHAT, RIGHT?
What I find in my conversations with entrepreneurs, artists, and authors is that publicity tends to be the missing piece in their marketing puzzle.
They’ve all heard they need to be doing it, but they either don’t know how to or can’t devote the time to all of the research.
That’s where I come in.
I’m Cher (yes, like the singer), and I’m a self-taught publicist. This means that I have all the skills that publicists have but I think like a marketer because that’s what I’ve spent the majority of my career doing. I first learned how to pitch when I helped a mentor launch her first book and I’ve been refining my skills ever since through trial and error. Lucky for you - you’re meeting me at a time when it’s more success than error. I’ve pitched hundreds of podcasts, print magazines, websites, and TV producers, and I’ve landed interviews/features on places like goop, Girlboss, Bustle, The Unmistakable Creative, CNN, and NBC.
I created my SPREAD THE WORD offering because I see a lot of DIY publicity programs that give eager entrepreneurs, authors, and creatives templates and tips to train them in the PR game. These programs are great… except many fall short because they’re not personalized.
The entrepreneur is still responsible for crafting her own messages without any feedback from an expert. The artist is still left on her own wondering if she’s chosen the right outlets and if these outlets even take pitches. And the author still has to write TONS of pitches even though she just wrote a whole freakin’ book.
"Thanks for all you do!! I'm really glad I did this - feels like the best lead generator in my biz right now, and I'm pretty sure it's building the depth and reach of my podcast audience with more loyal listeners. "
- Adria DeCorte, Message Clarity Coach & Host of Unforgettable
I use my signature SPREAD THE WORD system to create a package personalized to you and it includes stuff that makes you look damn good when playing the PR game (because it is indeed a game):
7-10 juicy, must-learn-more bullet points for podcast pitches
3-5 magazine/website stories that makes editors say, “Tell me more.”
A list of 30 podcasts to pitch (with contact info + which angles are best)
A list of 20 websites and magazines to pitch (with contact info + which angles are best)
A podcast press kit that makes you look oh-so-profesh with influential podcast hosts
Access to my podcast interview resources (To date, this includes templates for pitches that “worked,” 1-sheets that prepare you for specific shows, a pre-interview checklist, and a post-interview checklist)
"This is all awesome! I’m so impressed with what you’ve been able to book. It feels like it's higher than 30% booking rate (and that is pretty damn remarkable). Thank you, Cher!!"
- Dr. Sasha Heinz, Developmental Psychologist & Life Coach
The price? $950.
Availability: Openings beginning October 2018
And if you’re like, “CHER, I WANT THIS BUT PLEASE DON’T MAKE ME PITCH MYSELF,” don’t worry, I got you.
For a limited number of clients, I offer my PITCH FOR ME, PLEASE service.
If you’re interested in either of these services, fill out the application below and I’ll get back to you in 48 hours.
“Cher was referred to me by a colleague and from her website I was intrigued. However, it wasn't an immediate yes. Not because of Cher, but because investing that amount of money on PR isn't the easiest check to sign. BUT, and this is a big BUT, Cher was worth it. She cares. From reading her website and being drawn to the way she writes, to our personable phone calls, Cher has an ability to read you and position you in the industry and her execution, which is what you pay for, was superb. Her thoughtfulness in crafting each word, made me believe in myself even more and what I have to offer. Cher was able to portray my inner thoughts through words and translate it for the world to connect with. As someone who believes in the heart of people, I would 100% recommend Cher."
- Nicole Miyuki, Freelance Artist, Graphic Designer, and Author
To date, I've booked clients on
The Unmistakable Creative with Srinivas Rao
The Creative Leap with Alexander Tutungi of Dubsado
The Lavendaire Lifestyle with Aileen Xu
Courage & Clarity with Steph Crowder
Over It and On With It with Christine Hassler
The Amber Lilyestrom Show
Radically Loved with Rosie Acosta
Get Gutsy with Jenny Fenig
The Creative Sandbox Way with Melissa Dinwiddie
Unstoppable Success Radio with Kelly Roach
Biz Women Rock with Katie Krimitsos
REAL TALK with Rachel Luna
The Deep Dive with Adam Roa
Making the Maven with Michelle McGlade
1) But I don’t have a professional, fancypants microphone. - That's fine! Apple earbuds work fine, and if you want higher audio quality, I have a couple microphone recommendations that under $100.
2) I just started my business a few months ago, but I know my message inside + out, upside + down. Am I still a good fit? - That’s to be determined. Write me, and I can evaluate if getting media coverage is really the next best step for you.
3) I want a guarantee that I’ll be booked for the podcast interviews / magazine features / contributions on my list. - Sigh, I wish I could give you that. But pitching is a tricky, no-guarantee game. You do your best to get the messaging tight + clear. It’s perfect. Then maybe the host decides to end the show and already has all her guests lined up. Or perhaps he’s going through a family emergency and the show is on hold for the next six months. It also might happen that the pitch just doesn’t fit with the direction the show to take. Stuff that we can’t know if we’re not in her head. That’s why our fallback is always building relationships, which are often more valuable than an interview.
4) Do I have to have existing connections with the hosts of these shows? - Nope.
5) I don’t have the budget. Would you consider a payment plan? - Normally, yes. But for something like this, I recommend that you save your money and funnel it towards less-risky investments, like hiring a VA to free up some of your time or investing in software that will help you run your next program.
"I've had the privilege to have Cher support my business in myriad ways over the last 5 years. During the first year of my Influencer Academy, she was the program director - responsible for everything from participant engagement and on-site logistics to liaising with catering and guest speakers. Cher also pitched print and TV media on my behalf and has helped secure bookings including CNN and NBC and locally in Las Vegas with Vegas Seven, the Las Vegas Review-Journal and Nevada Woman Magazine. Her administrative and project management skills are bar none. She is always ahead of deadlines, gives the right balance of structure and freedom to a support team and is a great strategic partner. Plus, with Cher comes an opportunity-centered mindset and contagious optimism, impeccable writing skills (i.e., persuasive emails, social posts or agendas/task lists), a gift for interpersonal communication and a wicked, pitch-perfect sense of humor. Work with this woman. She will make your business stronger and your life happier and more full of ease."
Alexia Vernon, Founder and Director, Influencer Academy
"You are like a dream come true, Cher!"
- Holly Shaw, Hypnotherapist & Creativity Coach